Our new batch of Legacy Tickets have arrived! These tickets are good from now until June 30, 2014. We have a couple of different museums lined up for this summer as well – check out the list!
~Bois Forte Heritage Center
~Carlton County Historical Society
~Dorothy Molter Museum
~Duluth Children’s Museum
~Ely-Winton Historical Society
~Forest History Center
~Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center
~Soudan Underground Mine State Park
~Judy Garland Children’s Museum
~US Hockey Hall of Fame Museum
~Minnesota Discovery Center
~Minnesota Museum of Mining
~Split Rock Lighthouse
~Lake County Historical Society
~North Shore Commercial Fishing Museum
~Moose Lake Depot & Fires of 1918 Museum
The library board meets the first Tuesday of every month. This is a great opportunity to learn more about how your library is run!
We read manga, watch anime, eat Japanese food, and in general have a great time! All teens are welcome to attend, so stop by and give it a try!
“The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.
“January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she’d never met, a native of Guernsey, the British island once occupied by the Nazis. He’d come across her name on the flyleaf of a secondhand volume by Charles Lamb. Perhaps she could tell him where he might find more books by this author.
“As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, she is drawn into the world of this man and his friends, all members of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, a unique book club formed in a unique, spur-of-the-moment way: as an alibi to protect its members from arrest by the Germans.
“Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the Society’s charming, deeply human members, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all. Through their letters she learns about their island, their taste in books, and the powerful, transformative impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds there will change her forever.”
(description from the front cover of the 2008 Dial Press Book edition)
Copies of the book are available at the library front desk; everyone is welcome to join in the discussion.
Come to the Two Harbors Public Library and follow the adventures of a group of living toys! Popcorn and juice will be provided.
26th Annual Minnesota Book Awards
sponsored by The Friends of the Saint Paul Public Library and 3M Library Systems
- Moo! by David LaRochelle, illustrated by Mike Wohnoutka
Memoir & Creative Nonfiction
- Modern Spirit: The Art of George Morrison, by W. Jackson Rushing III and Kristin Makholm.
Novel & Short Story
Young People’s Literature
For more information about the awards, or to see the lists of finalists, visit the Minnesota Books Awards website at thefriends.org/events/mnba/winners-and-finalists/current-winners-finalists
Christina Cotruvo, Celtic Harp music at your library
Christina presents her original music celebrating Lake Superior love. Enjoy Celtic harp instrumental music based in the love songs of the people who have lived and traveled Lake Superior – no sinking ships!
Living on the shore of Lake Superior inspires Christina Cotruvo’s soothing and relaxing harp music. Learn what inspires her, how she researched the stories behind the songs and hear the beautiful music Christina creates with her Celtic harp.
This event is sponsored by the Arrowhead Library System and funded by money from Minnesota’s Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund. To learn more about other Arrowhead Legacy Events, please see our calendar at www.arrowhead.lib.mn.us/whats-new/. Find us on facebook at “Arrowhead Legacy” or on Twitter @ArrowheadLegacy.
Share your tips and experiences using Overdrive with other users. Group meets following each of the Overdrive classes and is also open to others. No registration necessary. This group-help class is also entirely free.
COMMUNITY ED. CLASS
If you are reading e-books and would like to use the FREE e-books through the library, this is a chance to have help getting started. Overdrive is a service of the Arrowhead Library System offering thousands of e-book titles to anyone with an ALS library card (also free.) Volunteers will help participants load Overdrive on their e-readers or other devices and get started. Register by Friday, April 29.
*Please tell us what device you will be using.
There is a $5 fee for this class, payable to Community Ed., for their costs is helping host this class.
- Americanah, by Chimamandra Ngozi Adichie. (FIC ADI)
- Once Upon a Lie, by Maggie Barbieri. (FIC BAR)
- Greasy Grass: A Story of the Little Big Horn, by Johnny D. Boggs. (FIC BOG)
- A Darkling Sea, by James L. Cambias. (FIC CAM)
- The Luminaries, by Eleanor Catton. (FIC CAT)
- North of Boston, by Elisabeth Elo. (FIC ELO)
- Fear Nothing, by Lisa Gardner. (FIC GAR)
- Long Man, by Amy Greene. (FIC GRE)
- Hild, by Nicola Griffith. (FIC GRI)
- What Angels Fear, by C.S. Harris. (FIC HAR PBK)
- Night Diver, by Elizabeth Lowell. (FIC LOW)
- I Shall Be Near to You, by Erin Lindsay McCabe. (FIC MCCAB)
- The Winter People, by Jennifer McMahon. (FIC MCMAH)
- And Then She Was Gone, by Rosalind Noonan. (FIC NOO)
- Robert B. Parker’s Bull River, by Robert Knott. (FIC PAR)
- Orfeo, by Richard Powers. (FIC POW)
- The Collector, by Nora Roberts. (FIC ROB)
- The Singing of the Dead, by Dana Stabenow. (FIC STA PBK)
- The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P., by Adelle Waldman. (FIC WAL)
- The Interestings, by Meg Wolitzer. (FIC WOL)
- iWork: The Missing Manual, by Josh Clark & Jessica Thornsby. (005.5 CLA)
- How to Really Love Your Adult Child: Building a Healthy Relationship In a Changing World, by Ross Campbell, MD. (306.874 CAM)
- Dinner with the Smileys: One Military Family, One Year of Heroes, and Lessons for a Lifetime, by Sarah Smiley. (359.SMI)
- The Unhealthy Truth, by Robyn O’Brien. (618.92 OBR)
- Attracting Beneficial Bugs: A Natural Approach to Pest Control, by Jessica Walliser. (628.9 WAL)
- New Car Buying Guide, by Consumer Reports. (629.222 CON)
- The Speedy Vegetable Garden, by Mark Diacono. (635 DIA)
- Plantiful: Start Small, Grow Big With 150 Plants That Spread, Self-Sow, & Overwinter, by Kristin Green. (635 GRE)
- Touch a Butterfly: Wildlife Gardening With Kids, by April Pulley Sayre. (635 SAY)
- Kiss My Aster: A Graphic Guide, by Amanda Thomsen. (635.9 THO)
- Handmade Leather Bags and Accessories, by Elean Ho. (685.5 HO)
- The Complete Photo Guide to Making Metal Jewelryz, by John Sartin. (739.27 SAR)
- Connect the Shapes Crochet Motifs, by Edie Eckman. (746.43 ECK)
- You Can Date Boys When You’re Forty, by Dave Barry. (818.54 BAR)
- Book of Ages: The Life & Opinions of Jane Franklin, by Jill Lepore. (973.3 LEP)
- Star Wars: Jedi Academy, by Jeffrey Brown. (J GN BRO)
- Diary of a Fly, by Doreen Cronin. (J P CRO)
- Ophelia & the Marvelous Boy, by Karen Foxlee. (J FIC FOX)
- The Midnight Library: I Can See You, by Damien Graves. (J FIC GRA)
- Duck & Goose Go To the Beach, by Tad Hills. (J P HIL)
- Rocket Writes a Story, by Tad Hills. (J P HIL)
- Rocket’s Mighty Words, by Tad Hills. (J BOARD HIL)
- Knit Your Bit: A World War I Story, by Deborah Hopkinson. (J P HOP)
- Fancy Nancy and the Wedding of the Century, by Jane O’Connor. (J P OCO)
- The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing, by Sheila Turnage. (J FIC TUR)
- The Second Spy, by Jacqueline West. (J FIC WES)
- The Strangers, by Jacqueline West. (J FIC WES)
- It’s Our Garden: From Seeds to Harvest in a School Garden, by George Ancona. (J NF 635 ANC)
- Who Was Roald Dahl? by True Kelley. (J NF 823 KEL)
- Horde, by Ann Aguirre. (YA FIC AGU)
- Blue Exorcist, Volume 8, by Kazue Kato. (YA GN KAT)
- Sex and Violence, by Carrie Mesrobian. 2014 Minnesota Book Award Winner. (YA FIC MES)
- Natsume’s Book of Friends, Volume 2, by Yuki Midorikawa. (YA GN MID)
- The Shade of the Moon, by Susan Beth Pfeffer. (YA FIC PFE)
- Bart Simpson: To The Rescue!, by Matt Groening. (YA GN SIM OVERSIZE)
- Dragon Ball Z, Volume 7, by Akira Toriyama. (YA GN TOR)
- The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices From the Titanic, by Allan Wolf. (YA FIC WOL)