The library will be closed on Monday, September 1st, in honor of Labor Day. Have a good holiday weekend!
Sara Pajunen plays Finnish folk music on violin and in her Laatikko/Box program uses her violin combined with items she has collected about Finnish immigration to the United States to create a multi-media interactive story about immigration then and how we as individuals are always moving from the known to the unknown as we move through different phases of our lives.
Sara Pajunen grew up in Northern Minnesota where she performed and traveled with the Singing Strings, playing Finnish folk music, American fiddle tunes, and classical repertoire. She received her Bachelor of Music degree from the University of Minnesota, and completed a solo studies degree from Helsinki Conservatory in 2008. She performs and teaches private lessons in the Twin Cities. In 2010 she was awarded a Finlandia Foundation grant to bring new Finnish folk music to the area via education and performance. See her website here: http://www.sarapajunen.com/
LEGACY EVENT: This event is sponsored by the Arrowhead Library System and funded by money from Minnesota’s Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund.
For the month of September, we are celebrating a classic comedian – Robin Williams – by showing some of our favorite children’s films that feature him.
Critique Group -
Bring a poem or two to share with the group. Get feedback from a friendly group of poets.
We hope to see you there!
Evening Book Group is starting a new theme this fall, exploring early 20th century literature. We are planning to look at some very famous works, some now less well-known, and some from other parts of the world. Anyone is welcome to join the group.
The September book is “The Golden Arrow,” by Mary Webb. It is a romantic novel of the English countryside, featuring the village people rather than the lords and ladies, published in 1916 and set in an earlier time.
- The Darling Dahlias & the Silver Dollar Bush, by Susan Wittig Albert. (FIC ALB)
- Batman: A Celebration of 75 Years. (GN BAT)
- Mean Streak, by Sandra Brown. (FIC BRO)
- A Dancer in the Dust, by Thomas H. Cook. (FIC COO)
- The Eye of Heaven, by Clive Cussler. (FIC CUS)
- Dark Blood, by Christine Feehan. (FIC FEE)
- Turn to Stone: A Jonathan Stride novella, by Brian Freeman. (FIC FRE)
- The Secret Place, by Tana French. (FIC FRE)
- Severed Souls, by Terry Goodkind. (FIC GOO)
- Top Secret, by W.E.B. Griffin. (FIC GRI)
- A Shiver of Light, by Laurell K. Hamilton. (FIC HAM)
- Joker: A Celebration of 75 Years. (GN JOK)
- Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good, by Jan Karon. (FIC KAR)
- Son of No One, by Sherrilyn Kenyon. (FIC KEN)
- Windigo Island, by William Kent Kreuger. (FIC KRU)
- The River, by Beverly Lewis. (FIC LEW)
- Love Letters, by Debbie Macomber. (FIC MACOM)
- Designated Daughters, by Margaret Maron. (FIC MAR)
- Private Down Under, by James Patterson. (FIC PAT)
- Heroes Are My Weakness, by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. (FIC PHI)
- The Lost Island, by Douglas Preston. (FIC PRE)
- Her Last Whisper, by Karen Robards. (FIC ROB)
- The Golden Arrow, by Mary Webb. (FIC WEB)
- Swan Point, by Sherryl Woods. (FIC WOO)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook 2014-2015 Edition. (REF 331 OCC)
- Nolo’s Essential Guide to Child Custody & Support, by Emily Doskow. (346.7301 DOS)
- One Soldier’s War, by Arkady Babchenko. (355.009475 BAB)
- Crash Dive: True Stories of Submarine Combat. (359.938 CRA)
- Out of Captivity: Surviving 1.967 Days in the Colombian Jungle, by Marc Gonsalves. (364.154 GON)
- Signing For Dummies, by Adan R. Penilla II, PhD. (419.7 PEN)
- Antiques & Collectibles 2015, by Noah Fleisher. (745.1075 FLE)
- 2014 US/BNA Postage Stamp Catalog. (769.56 POS)
- Mountain Warriors: Moroccan Goums in WWII, by Edward L. Bimberg. (940.54 BIM)
- Resolve: From the Jungles of WWII Bataan, the Epic Story of a Soldier, a Flag, and a Promise Kept, by Bob Welch. (940.54 WEL)
- Hard Choices, by Hillary Rodham Clinton. (973.929 CLI)
- Minnesota’s Lost Towns: Northern Edition, by Rhonda Fochs. (977.67 FOC)
- A Beautiful Mine: Women Prospectors of the Old West, by Chris Enss. (978.02 ENS)
- Emperor Pickletine Rides the Bus: An Origami Yoda Book, by Tom Angleberger. (J FIC ANG)
- A Hitch at the Fairmont, by Jim Averbeck. (J FIC AVE)
- The Very Cranky Bear, by Nick Bland. (J P BLA)
- Wilder’s Foe, by Diane Bradley. (J FIC BRA)
- Emily’s Blue Period, by Cathleen Daly. (J P DAL)
- The Graveyard Book: Graphic Novel, Volume 1, by Neil Gaiman. (J GN GAI)
- Silly and Stinky Stories My Grandpa Tells, by Jerry E. Hines. (J FIC HIN)
- Elvis and the Underdogs, by Jenny Lee. (J FIC LEE)
- Lego City: Trucks Around the City. (J BOARD LEG)
- A Perfect Time for Panda, by Mary Pope Osborne. (J SERIES MAG)
- Being Thankful, by Mercer Mayer. (J P MAY)
- The Inquisitor’s Apprentice, by Chris Moriarty. (J FIC MOR)
- I Lego N.Y. by Christopher Niemann. (J BOARD NIE)
- Three Bears in a Boat, by David Soman. (J P SOM)
- The Mystery of the Grinning Gargoyle, by Gertrude Chandler Warner. (J FIC WAR)
- The Mystery of the Soccer Snitch, by Gertrude Chandler Warner. (J FIC WAR)
Can you believe it? We just hit September, the school year just started, and we are already hosting the month’s Library Board Meeting. As usual, the meeting is open to the public, so everyone is welcome to sit-in and learn how the library is run.
- Love Bug, by Raffi. (J CD RAF)
- Pete Seeger: The Storm King: Stories, Narratives, Poems: Spoken Word Set to a World of Music, by Pete Seeger. (CD SEE)
Books on CD:
- Lookaway, Lookaway, by Wilton Barnhardt. (BOCD FIC BAR)
- The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald. (BOCD FIC FIT)
- Secrets to the Grave, by Tami Hoag. (BOCD FIC HOA)
- Detroit: An American Autopsy, by Charlie LeDuff. (BOCD 977.4 LED)
- The Last of the Doughboys: The Forgotten Generation & Their Forgotten War, by Richard Rubin. (BOCD 940.4 RUB)
Juvenile Books on CD:
- How to Catch a Bogle, by Catherine Jinks. (J BOCD FIC JIN)
- Batman Collection: featuring Batman, Batman Returns, Batman & Robin, and Batman Forever
- Campion Complete Season 2: featuring Sweet Danger, Mystery Mile, Flowers for the Judge, & Dancers in Mourning
- Chasing Liberty
- Darkness Falls
- Dawn of the Dead
- 47 Ronin
- Glee Season 2, Volume 1
- Glee Season 2, Volume 2
- Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
- Labor Day
- Ladies Man
- Last Vegas
- Monuments Men
- Rio 2
- Scary Movie 2
- Sherlock: Season 1
- Sid Caesar Collection
- Silver Linings Playbook
- Simpsons: Season 1
- True Detective
- Vampire Academy
- Vampire Diaries: Complete 2nd Season
- (National Lampoon’s) Van Wilder
- You Bet Your Life: The Lost Episodes (Groucho Marx)
It is time for the Friends of the Two Harbors Public Library’s 3rd quarter meeting! Hear how the summer book sales and reading programs went and help in planning the upcoming fall events.
Briand Morrison began his musical career around the family’s dining room table, was in a rock band by 6th grade, hired as a guitar teacher by the West Bank School of Music at the age of 16, and has continued studying music and performing ever since. While his musical style has really evolved over the years, he describes himself currently as a “Blues/Rock act that is reminiscent of a Hendrixy Stevie Ray Allman Bros Early Clapton sound – a refined 60/70s style with a flavorful chord or two utilizing a looper, drum machine and some vocal.” He also keeps true to the classical jazz, wearing a nice tux and playing a Gibson L5.
Morrison’s Jazz performance is sure to be classy; if you’ve ever appreciated the jazz style, then this performance is not one to miss.
For more information about Morrison, or a sneak peak at one of his recorded shows, check out his website at: http://
This event is sponsored by the Arrowhead Library System and funded by money from Minnesota’s Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund.